[Groff] Re: Nroff locale problem???

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: Nroff locale problem???
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:32:00 GMT

>      $ nroff -man troff.1 >troff.man
>      locale: not found
>      $
>
> What is the locale thing doing codewise in the nroff section?

The `locale' function tests the default charset set in your
environment.  It has been recently added to get, for example, -Tutf8
as the default behaviour in case you are in a UTF8 environment.

It seems that the following line of nroff makes problems:

  case "`locale charmap 2>/dev/null`" ...

I've tested bash, tcsh, ksh, zsh, and csh, but I never get a message
like yours.  Which shell do you use?