Re: [Groff] Periods, period.

From: Andy Dougherty
Subject: Re: [Groff] Periods, period.
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:37:02 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Eddie Maddox wrote:

> \123.456.
> \# --> nothing

I believe traditional troff would give you 123.456. here.  That is, an \X
sequence, where X was not a character with special meaning, would simply
be passed on as X.

> \\.123.456.
> \# --> \.123.456.

Yes, that's exactly what you asked for -- the sequence '\\' is of the form
\X.

> How do we always get periods to always show up whenever, and wherever, we
> want them?

Other than at the beginning of a line, there's not a problem.  At the
beginning of a line, preceed the period by \&.  That is,

        \&.123

will give you a plain .123.

> Any other troublesome puncuation?

Yes, the backslash \ is one to watch out for.  If you want it to appear in
your output, use the sequence \e.

--
    Andy Dougherty              address@hidden
    Dept. of Physics