Re: [Groff] Spurious whitelines

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai
Subject: Re: [Groff] Spurious whitelines
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 15:35:00 +0100

-On [20000129 00:00], Werner LEMBERG (address@hidden) wrote:

>> When I nroff -man (or nroff -mdoc) a manpage and view it, I get
>> random whitelines where no-one would expect them.  I verified the
>> mdoc mark-up of the pages involved and I am absolutely sure that it
>> isn't a problem in the manpages themselves.
>
>Can you please send a full example?

I found a small one which illustrates the problem.

I run it as follows:

nroff -man builtin.1 | more

And all the output is correct except for this:

           endif         No            Yes       No
           endsw         No            Yes       No
           esac          No            No        Yes
           eval          No            Yes       Yes

           exec          No            Yes       Yes
           exit          No            Yes       Yes
           export        No            No        Yes
           fc            No            No        Yes
           fg            No            Yes       Yes
           fi            No            No        Yes

You clearly see two lines which shouldn't be there.

Of course there are some local modifications to some macros (just like NetBSD's
mdoc stuff) and I'll be mailing these changes as groff feature requests in.
But the problem could be local and that's what I am trying to discern at the
moment.  I do not know what the doc committers before me did, so I have to
dissect everything bit by bit.  And of course this al happens coincendentally
with SCSI problems.  Jup, life sucks. ;)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd W/Asmodai         address@hidden|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/B-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best