[Groff] tmac.www macro name clashes?

From: Eddie Maddox
Subject: [Groff] tmac.www macro name clashes?
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:18:54 -0500 (EST)

What should I keep in mind when composing macro names for tmac.www?

tmac.www is intended to be a stand alone macro package for Web sites. So
it does not need ms or any other macro set to help it out.

However, if someone needs to use ms, me or other macro packages in
conjunction with tmac.www, how do I avoid any conflicts with those other
macro packages?

About tmac.www:

tmac.www is an entirely separate project from -Thtml.

The -Thtml project is lead by Gaius. It provides some HTML functionality
for documents composed with the traditional Groff macro packages (ms, at
least, in particular) with some added HTML specific macros where needed.

-Thtml makes some assumptions and performs some actions without always
needing specific commands from the user. This allows legacy documents to
be rendered into HTML with minimal adjustments. It also allows users with
existing knowledge of the mature Groff macro packages to author documents
for Web sites with little extra retraining needed.

tmac.www, as a Groff "application", takes a different approach. It
presumes an author:

- is willing to learn an entirely new Groff macro package (tmac.www)
- is composing in or porting documents to this new package
- wants Groff to make no assumptions or take any actions beyond the
control of the document author (who, hopefully, is following the various
W3.org recommendations and similar open standards).

Current work on the tmac.www Groff application is at:

http://209.32.157.181/groff-em.html, Eddie's Groff Garage.

Discussions about tmac.www take place here, on this mailing list, as with
the -Thtml project lead by Gaius.

Thank you.
Eddie Maddox
address@hidden