[Groff] new grohtml: .TLs and .SHs.

From: Eddie Maddox
Subject: [Groff] new grohtml: .TLs and .SHs.
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:10:33 -0500 (EST)

There are some problems with having Groff do what Groff 1.15 does with
.TL and .SH.

It appears to me that Groff uses the .TL to also be the HTML <h1> for the
output file, not to just be the <title>.

Groff also puts a TOC of all the .SH --> <a name=> things right under the
<h1> output.

There is a utility from W3.org called Tidy. Latest release 12 JAN 2000.
It cleans up code and recommends good coding practices, such as
accessibility factors. I use it heavily on my client's FrontPage output.

What you are having Groff do with .TL and .SH is not for Groff to do. At
least, not yet, or not arbitrarily.

For Groff 1.16 would you please have it handle .TL and .SH in more mundane
ways? And maybe add some macros for <h1> through <h6>?

For Groff 1.17++ could we then discuss a plan for incorporating Tidy code
into Groff, and other strategies for encouraging good HTML design and
coding practices on the author's part?

I appreciate your initiative in being creative with how you had .TL and
.SH handle things, but I wish we could have been more thoughtful about
these and related matters before going ahead with the current Groff
behavior.

Thank you.
Eddie Maddox
address@hidden