Re: [Groff] groff 1.15, unknown paper size in file `/etc/papersi

From: Fabrizio Polacco
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff 1.15, unknown paper size in file `/etc/papersi
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:11:40 +0200

> On 13-Jan-00 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >
> >> grops:/usr/share/groff/font/devps/DESC:13: unknown paper size in
> >> file `/etc/papersize'
> >
> > This is a Debian specific problem, I think.  The base groff
> > distribution doesn't support /etc/papersize -- Fabrizio has submitted
> > a patch to do that, but I'm still hesitating to apply it.

It's a Debian only problem not only because the patch is not yet
incorporated in groff, but, even if it were, because only debian
"compilation" enables the changes in dev*/DESC that triggers the patch.
Untill you don't put the line
        paperfile /<pathname>
in devlj4/DESC and/or devps/DESC the patch is transparent to previous
users.
The patch do not change dev*/DESC or their Makefiles.
Because of that I feel secure saying that the patch submitted has no
impact on users that do not enable it "by themself".

Debian "unstable" has it enabled.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 04:46:34PM -0000, Ted Harding wrote:

> In any case, there's more to it than merely changing paper dimensions.

I agree.
There are two different things here:
lj4 device has a table of values and is internally able to switch
between sizes through the option switch, while the DIST looks limited to
only a4 and letter formats.
postscript device is a different thing.
it enables _only_ letter format, and it looks like A4 size were a late
adding. grops should need a larger modification to fully enable use of
other formats.

In my previous post I proposed the use of a table also in grops (like we
have in grolj4). In that table I put only the paperlenght parameter.
Is there the need also for other parameters?
Please, postscript gurus, answer this question. Thanx.

fab