[Groff] Re: Groff and paper size selection.

From: Fabrizio Polacco
Subject: [Groff] Re: Groff and paper size selection.
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:37:59 +0200

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 10:10:43PM +0100, Bernd Salbrechter wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 20:38:09 +0200 Fabrizio Polacco <address@hidden> wrote:
> > This way, I can substitute the line
> >
> >     papersize a4
> >
> > in the DESC of lj4 and ps font (which is actually added by the Makefile)
> > with
> >
> >     paperfile /etc/papersize
> >
> > to get it from the configuration file, without the need of setting the
> > -p option (which is not so trivial when you, as example, issue command
> > "man" :-)
>
> Dose this not interfere with groffs correction of the origin, which is
> hard encoded as "paperlength 792000" in my groffs DESC.

I wasn't 100% precise in the statement above.
The line "papersize a4" is in the devlj4/DESC; in devps we have
"paperlength 792000" to be substituted by paperfile.

While the lj4 chenges works greatly, I wasn't able to get any difference
from the postscript formatting of some manpages, even with hand changes
to the "paperlength" value. I know too little of postscript to
understand if this is due to the closeness of the two formats, or
because grops guesses a common sub-format or what.

> > A better approach would be to use Yves Arrouye's libpaper.
>
> Is this library public available?

Yes: http://www.uk.debian.org/Packages/unstable/libs/libpaperg.html
you can see the links in the line Source Code; they point to the
original package
(http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/text/libpaper_1.0.3.orig.tar.gz)
and to a patch that I suggest you apply
(http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/text/libpaper_1.0.3-12.2.diff.gz).

The original program was written for debian, but when the author went
offline, new improvements were kept as patches, as debian usually do.

If you have a Debian system handy, just add to /etc/apt/sources.list
the line
deb-src http://www.debian.org/debian unstable  main contrib non-free
and then issue
$ apt-get source libpaper
to get the patched tree.

Here is an abstract:
Package: libpaperg
Source: libpaper
Version: 1.0.3-12.2
Maintainer: Marco Pistore <address@hidden>
 This package contains a simple library for use by programs needing
 to handle papers. It lets program automatically recognize a lot of
 different papers with their properties (actually their size).

Cheers,
fab