Re: [Groff] Re: ms docs?

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: ms docs?
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 22:39:02 +0000 (GMT)

Well done Gentlemen you've hit on my reading pile beside my computer..

Eddie writes:
> Question: Then why didn't Gaius use me to start with? Why did he use ms
> instead? How did he know...???  Ahhhh,,,, Does Gaius know something about
> ms we don't know? Does Gaius know what all the ms macros are and how to
> use them? How could he? It's Open Source, so wouldn't the Docs be Open,
> too? Then, where are they? How could Gaius, himself, even be using
> something that he, himself, does not have docs for? But he did, so he, at
> least, must have some docs, right? So, where did he get them?

I guess I used what I'm most familiar with..

T. Kurt Bond" <address@hidden> writes:

> The paper "Typing Documents on the UNIX System: Using the -ms Macros
> with Troff and Nroff", by M. E. Lesk, November 13, 1978

also I use a hard copy of man ms(7) from an old BSD release
I used as an undergrad two decades ago.. (from 4.3 BSD I think
(Documenters Workbench ?)

For what it is worth be careful when choosing the UNIX in a nutshell
don't be tempted to buy the Linux in a nutshell instead as the later
does not have any troff information in it. May be wonderful in other
areas of course..

cheers Gaius