Re: [Groff] Re: New html docs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: New html docs
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 22:50:25 GMT

> Certainly much material is available on Web site design, I have
> other works myself, but I want to start with the principles in this
> one work and see if I can present a "User Friendly Navigation
> Interface" to all Groff documentation.  This includes Richard
> Steven's materials and others that have been pointed out to us on
> this mailing list.

This sounds excellent!

> When I begin to do this (a week or two?) I will need to know where
> all the Groff docs are that are currently in the Groff releases.
> Many of the directories/file names do not make it obvious to me
> which are for docs and which for code.  Some I know, but some are
> stange.  Like tmac. (Docs in tmac?  They aren't all in the doc
> directory?) Not obvious tmac has docs.

There is a principle in the groff source package: man pages are in the
same directory as the the program/macro package they describe.  So you
will find e.g. `eqn.man' in the `eqn' subdir, or you will find
groff_mdoc.man in the `tmac' subdirectory together with the tmac.doc
macro file.  [A bit problematic is groff_mdoc.samples.man which is a
man page but doesn't fit into this scheme.  I think I will eventually
move it to the `doc' subdir.]

Documentation stuff not fitting into this scheme will be finally in
`doc'.

After a `make install', only man pages are currently installed in the
system.  If I find some time, I will expand the Makefile to
create/install the groff info files (i.e., running `makeinfo' on
groff.texinfo).