[Groff] Re: groff HOWTO: makefile

From: Dean Allen Provins
Subject: [Groff] Re: groff HOWTO: makefile
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:21:23 -0700 (MST)

Eddie:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Dean Allen Provins wrote:
>
> > The groff command is part of a messy makefile script.  I thought I'd
> > describe such things in the HOWTO, but haven't gotten that far yet.
>
> I'll have to explore your ASCII and HTML versions later, I have some work
> to do today yet.
>
> For now, 'til you get your HOWTO more complete, could you tell me which
> Makefile you found the Groff command in, etc?
>
> I'm hoping Gaius can get what Groff HTML docs exist in order for the next
> release so the rest of us can pitch in.
>
> I desparetly need to port the Groff Web page to Groff before expanding it
> too much further, but have been very hampered by not knowing where the
> existing Groff HTML docs all are and not knowing how to read them all
> easily (ASCII or HTML). When I know all that, watch out!
>
> Thanks.
> ------------------
> Eddie Maddox
> address@hidden

It isn't quite that easy, as I have some custom scripts and .so files that
I use for all my documents, but I'll see if I can cut it down to size and
send you a copy.  Be warned though - they look a little (a lot??) messy.

That is the reason I didn't post the groff source files (Werner asked for
these in a separate post).  To make them useful, Id have to post a bunch of
stuff, and the user (you) would have to put everything in the right place.

Perhaps though I can put the needed macros in the source file (not sure if
that is possible, but think so), and I may be able to skip the index, which
I think is very useful (I hate having to rely on a table of contents to
find things - it takes so much reading to find a reference again!).

Skipping the index (for now at least) would mean few (perhaps no) scripts
would be required.

I'll look into the whole mess and be in touch again.

Regards,

Dean Provins
Calgary