[Groff] Lesson: e-mail address coding in documents.

From: Eddie Maddox
Subject: [Groff] Lesson: e-mail address coding in documents.
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:46:14 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I checked with Netscape.  It looks no different from using Lynx.
> > Which isn't so bad except all the e-mail addresses have no HTML
> > tags, only <> or () for us humans.  I will tidy all those up and
> > that should be about it.
>
> Well, I haven't checked your latest version yet, but the old one
> showed no <...> at all with my Netscape 4.51, instead some plain space
> characters are displayed.

OK. I use Lynx here mostly. It has the "\" key set to toggle between
rendered and unrendered. Very handy. So you can examine a goofy site and
see how the HTML tags are screwed up, causing the screwed up rendering
like you saw.

I am using Netscape 4.6 (on Mandrake 6.1) sometimes so I now know what you
are discribing. It is the _causes_ I was refering to with <> and ().
The e-mail addresses are there, but like this:
<address@hidden>, rather than this:

Both Lynx and Netscape tried to figure out what to do with the <> and ()
style and gave up. Hence the empty spaces when it rendered the page for
viewing.

Lesson: do not use <> or () to bracket stuff without checking the results
you get. [] seems to work so you'll notice I used them in a couple places
where appropriate.

Eddie Maddox
address@hidden