RE: [Groff] Body Contents leak into headers, please Help!

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Body Contents leak into headers, please Help!
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:40:57 +0100 (BST)

On 14-Sep-99 I (Ted Harding) wrote:
> On 14-Sep-99 Ken Causey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using groff (v1.11.1) to output reports for a system I've put
>> together and I'm having trouble with the header on some pages
>> containing text that shouldn't be in the header.
>>
>> http://www.ineffable.com/groff/claim.tr
>>
>> is the groff "source" as generated by my script, and
>>
>> http://www.ineffable.com/groff/claim.ps
>>
>> is the postscript output I get.
>
> I'm trying variants on your header and footer macros to see if the
> problem can be overcome.

OK, there's a simple fix which I should have spotted quickly!

Simply put the header material into its own environment, then the other
stuff will be shut out. Below is a revision of the start of your source
document which seems to do the job fine. For good measure I've done the
same for the footer. Note that the "tab" data are set both in the main
text and in the header (so that they're present in both environments).

8< ----------------- cut here ----------------------------------------
.de hd
.ev h
.ta 0.75i 3.5i 4i
'sp 0.5i
'ce 1
'ps 12
'ft B
Claims Report for 07/20/1999

'ps 10
'ft B
Provider        Provider Name   Type    Total Claim Amount
.br
[ List of Encounters ]
.ft R

.ev
..
.de fo
.ev f
.ps 10
.ft R
'br
'tl ''- % -''
'bp
.ev
..
.wh 0 hd
.wh -0.5i fo
.ta 0.75i 3.5i 4i

(NB that the apparent spaces in "Provider        Provider Name ... "
 must of course be tabs).

I've checked that none of the data go missing at page breaks in the
output.

Hope this works out for the future!

Best wishes,
Ted.