grep-devel

Option "-p" (like AIX grep) for GNU grep : would anybody support this be

From: Philip Nelson
Subject: Option "-p" (like AIX grep) for GNU grep : would anybody support this being added?
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 21:38:40 +0100

Folks,

As well as Linux, I've used AIX for many year. I really miss the "-p"
(output paragraph) option from the AIX version of grep.

While I know it is "easy enough" to simulate this with other tools,  they
require "incantations" which my brain finds hard to remember.

I searched the grep-bug archives and found this has been asked for a couple
of times by various people -

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2005-05/msg00029.html (from
2005)
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2010-03/msg00573.html (from
2010)

It looks like this has never happened, because folks have other priorities.

I've not coded in C for quite some time, so my skills are a bit rusty. But
this is becoming a bit of an "itch" for me.

I just wondered if I took the time to try to write this, is there much
chance that a patch of this nature would be accepted?

I downloaded the latest source tree last night to take a look, and have
surprised myself that I'm actually starting to find my way around the code
already.  I even started putting my initial efforts (mostly in pseudo-code
comments) into a local branch I've created.

What are folks thoughts on this?   Any reasons (for or against) such an
enhancement being accepted?

Apologies if my questions are a bit naive ...

Phil Nelson