gpsd-users

Re: systemd and GPSD issue

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: systemd and GPSD issue
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 05:46:18 -0600

On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 13:55:30 -0700
Robert Livingston <scion@olympus.net> wrote:

> We have used the various versions of GPSD for 15 years but have a
> problem with Debian 11 that relates to socket conflicts (?).

What exactly are you trying to do?

If you plug a GPS receiver in to your system, systemd will launch an
instance of gpsd. So under normal circumstances you would see exactly
what you show here: gpsd is already running, so of course your command
line instance of gpsd fails to get the socket.

If you want to stop systemd's copy from running, you must stop both the
gpsd.service and gpsd.socket. If you want to prevent them from running
every time you reboot, you must disable both.

If you are new to Debian 11, you might do well to move to Debian 12,
as it is just released and has a somewhat newer version of gpsd (as well
as pretty much everything else).

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com