gpsd-users

Re: synchronize system with GPS using gpsd

From: Bhavna Harani
Subject: Re: synchronize system with GPS using gpsd
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 09:53:14 +0530

Thanks Gary for the kind reply.

Which NTPsec version should I use?

Regards,
Bhavna

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 11:47 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo Bhavna!

On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:07:03 +0530
Bhavna Harani <haranibhavna111@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a client application which reads GPS data using gpsd demon.
> I have cross compiled gpsd demons and loaded them into the target
> board(processor).

Cool.  Care to share that code?

> Below is some environment information.
> What version of gpsd?  : 3.24 release

Good.

> What model GNSS receiver? - LC79D Quectl

Not so good.

> client application? -    https://gpsd.io/gpsd-client-example-code.html

Good..

> When I run gpsd demon ,I get the below warning. How can I resolve
> this?

That is actually two different warnings.

> *gpsd:WARN: This system has a 32-bit time_t.  This gpsd will fail at 2038-01-19T03:14:07Z

That one should be pretty obvious.  Your OS will break in 2038.  Be sure
to  update before than.

>.gpsd:WARN: __STDC_IEC_599__ is missing*

Not so obvious, but not good. __STDC_IEC_599__ is manadatory C99 define
that tells us if your libc complies with C99 rounding standards.

If the regression tests pass, then you are OK, if not, then your
system is not rounding per C99 requirements.  Incorrect rounding leads
to inconsistent results.  The differences are small, but do break
the regression tests.

> How can I sync the system using gpsd.

Have gpsd drive your ntpd.  This way:

    https://gpsd.io/gpsd-time-service-howto.html

> Is there any command which keeps the time sync ?

Yes, ntpd.

> how to use ntpd with gpsd?

See above.

RGDS