gpsd-users

GPSD

From: Anton Strydom
Subject: GPSD
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 15:17:56 +0200

Hi Gary

Thank you for your positive reply it is appreciated

I have studied your replies and they are very helpful.

Firstly the "code" is what I found online and not mine it appeared easy to adapt but proved not to

I have very little knowledge of Linux and even less when it comes to
Python

I have had lots of success navigating the vehicle to within 100mm from the targets that I have to my disposal

Below is a comparison between a marker GPS2 and my device being static

X Y LABEL LAYER ATTR_1 TIMESTAMP

-82266.7 -2895988 GPS2 Unknown Point Feature GPS2

Difference
-82266.7 -2895988 1 Waypoint 02/17/22 10:42:26 0.024698
-82266.7 -2895988 2 Waypoint 02/17/22 11:32:12 0.020616
Average

-82266.7 -2895988 0.013238

0.022657

No I won't be using gpsprof, I have had a look at it and it is great but not for what I am doing

I am using a wide array of gps receivers, all of them precision timing and raw data units.

UBlox LEA 4T single frequency
UBlox LEA 6T single frequency
UBlox NEO 8 P single frequency
UBlox F9P dual frequency
Hemisphere dual frequency
Novatel dual frequency
Leica SR500 dual frequency
Trimble R2
To name a few

Apart from accurate navigation I am also busy designing systems that monitor structures to predict possible failures

I can see the "Status" value in the GGA string on all the units I use

The "Datum" would be nice to have as the final product will have to be programmed with for instance  Schwarzeck datum used in Namibia

WGS84 would be the best if everybody used it, especially the mines etc.

The units used are all configured in a very special way, the accuracy achieved is sub decimeter without any outside influence such as NTRIP
using a Moving Baseline configuration.

The "Track" value returned is accurate to less than a third of a degree compared to a total station measurement.

ECEF is for the survey industry and would be nice to have later on as they all work using Northing and Easting. It also brings it own set of issues but that is
for the future.

I have version 3.17 installed
The following Python versions are installed
Python 2.7.16
Python 3.7.3

If you are referring to Example2.py, I have studied it yes and am busy with it trying to make sense of it all thank you

The threading and everything is not mine but I hear you and it is all making sense.

I have asked the question on other sites but have not had any worthwhile reply, yours is the first making any sense at all

Any advice will be appreciated as I am looking at future expansion moving beyond the Raspberry and L298HBridge too a more commercial
type vehicle.

Thank you

Sincerely

Anton