gpsd-users

Re: -GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: -GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:23:56 -0800

Yo Don!

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 13:49:28 -0500
Don Rolph <don.rolph@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK I obtained one of these for a but less money than o eBay from
> Amazon.

Cool.

> - it achieves a fix significantly faster than the Adafruit Ultimate
> USB GPS

Yup.

> - it fits in the same form factor but will require modification of the
> mounting approach, which is no big deal since this had not been
> finalized

Most applications just hang it on the USB conenctor.

> - it will not lock unless the aluminum foil shielding is in place:
> without this it never achieves a fix

It should be fine, outdoors.  Here is a good paper on antennas:

https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/GNSS-Antennas_AppNote_%28UBX-15030289%29.pdf

The optimum ground plane is about 50mm square.  More than that and you
depolarize the antenna.  Gain increases up to about 75mm.

I find that an old 3.5" disk platter works well.  95mm diameter.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588