gpsd-users

Re: -GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye

From: Don Rolph
Subject: Re: -GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:02:39 -0500

Martin stated that a USB to SATA interface would kill his GPS.  This is similar to my observations.

I have been perusing devices based on your initial links.

I am finding that GPS boards with the PI Zero form factor and USB connections typically are very expensive and relatively rare.  For this version of the project, I cant use an  external antenna:  it will be lashed to the side of handheld radio and there is nowhere to effectively deploy the external antenna.

For the project I need to keep the UART connections on the GPIO header free for the next stage of the effort and besides if I am to allow multiple different types of GPS for the system, the other form factors all use USB GPS units.

I have found a number of GPS boards which fit the PI Zero form factor, have USB connection, and use a patch antenna using your links as a starting point,  but they are typically more than $60 per board.

Since the GPS is an accessory to the main function, having the accessory exceed the cost of the remainder of the system seems odd.

Thoughts on where I might explore further?

Thanks!

I went down this path when I started, and dont seem to find reasonably priced GPS boards for this type of configuration.

I could add a UART to USB adapter tot he board:  these can be cheap, but the system is now becoming increasingly kludgy.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 1:51 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo Don!

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:13:47 -0500
Don Rolph <don.rolph@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for confirming the potential noise problem.

If I did, my mistake.  Certainly not my intention.  I'm  more inclined to
believe that the ground plane affected the antenna.

I have an older Adafruit, but the patch antenna is so weak that I have
always used on external antenna with it.  The poor sensitivity of the
MT333x, lack of LNA, and the 3dB patch antenna adds up to poor performance.

> I  will look more at your GPs board.

Not mine, just the first I found on ebay.  A lot of similar devices
(u-blox 8) are usually available, ofent cheaper.  Part sourcing is
becoming a problem...

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588