gpsd-users

Re: GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye

From: Don Rolph
Subject: Re: GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 16:06:30 -0500

Thanks for the response Gary.

As I am trying to create a relatively generic build for this project, special bulbs for each possible component are challenging.

Amusingly adding:

--speed 9600

autobauds for 4800 baud nicely as well.

My biggest observation is that lock seems to be about 20% slower under gpsd 3.22 than under gpsd 3.17, although I am working to make this more data based. The speed of lock is of ore import than the quirk on the gpsd file.

Thoughts on why gpsd 3.22 seems to lock more slowly?

Thanks for your reply!

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 2:28 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo Don!

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 08:24:04 -0500
Don Rolph <don.rolph@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am testing out a system using gpsd under Raspian Buster and Raspian
> BullsEye.

Common.

> Under Raspian Buster the gspd version is 3.17

Over 4 years old.

> Under Raspian bullsEye it is 3.22.

11 months old, and some known bugs.

Why are you not using 3.23.1, or git head?

> Using gpsd 3.17 under Buster, gpsd will autobaud correctly a USB
> connected gps (on /dev/ttyUSB0) at 9600 baud.

Correctly for you.  It has bugs.

> Using gpsd 3.22 under BullsEye I must specify -speed 9600 for the USB
> based GPS at /dev/ttyUSB0

Yes, fixing some of the issues in 3.17, caused other issues in 3.22.
They seem to all be fixed in git head.

If you want to keep using 3.22, then you just have to set the speed.
You can use the -s option, or stty before gpsd starts.

> Is there a reason why gpsd 3.22 is not autobauding to 9600 baud for
> the USB GPS at /dev/ttyUSB0?

It works for many people.  You have the bad luck to not be one of
those.

Since raspbian is so slow to update gpsd, you are stuck with whatever
problems are frozen in your version.  I suggest you compile your own
gpsd from git head.  Even  on a RapI it only takes a few minutes.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588

73,