gpsd-users

GPS Mac OS challenges

From: Marc Rosen
Subject: GPS Mac OS challenges
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 10:42:05 -0600

I'm most of the way done connecting my GPS to my MBP OS X Monterrey , that's to
persistence and some help from Gary Miller

In the end I'm using homebrew (package) versions of ntp and gpsd. The GPS is
from an Icom IC-705 radio. The main difficulties were setting the correct
serial/usb device for the GPS to connect to , increasing the shared memory, and
dealing with Mac env restrictions

I still can't get ntpshmemmon to run properly- permission denied to connect to
SHM1&2
Everything is running from sudo/root

Any solutions?

cgps shows great data
ntpq -p shows the GPS data updating ( no PPS)

One question is how to test it properly

I want the Mac system clock to rely on the gps
I tried setting the date time system prefs to use 127.0.0.1 , the turning off
WiFi and resetting the clock manually then restore to automatically w 127.0.0.1
- not sure this is working right

Any suggestions for testing?

Does anyone know if PPS is supported by the Radio?

Thanks

Marc