gpsd-users

Re: gpsd + ubx

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsd + ubx
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 10:21:32 -0700

Yo Florian!

On Tue, 26 May 2020 17:50:58 +0200
Florian Kiera <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Thinking about it: May gpsd prepares the u-blox device to work with
> >> ubxtool whenever I execute "ubxtool" (like it does on starting
> >> gpsd)?
> > Nope.
> Strange that "gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0 -D 5 -N" gives output about
> sending messages to the M8P whenever "ubxtool" is started (gpsd
> doesn't care what ubxtool wants to do, just executing ubxtool will
> make gpsd send "prepare"/change settings messages). I am still using
> my M8P's tho.

I'd like to see you log of that.

> >> At least all this would explain what messed up all the settings
> >> that I made before gpsd...
> > Sorry, don't see it.  Does not matter if you can do it now.
> To set up the M8P's after starting the gps daemon solves the problem
> that gpsd just changes settings without being asked to. However
> changing it afterwards works fine!

You can use the new -p option to gpsd to have it not autoconfigure your
device.

> >> is a shortcut, how can I change it to RTCM out only and use
> >> TMODE3?
> > RTFM.  The RIGHT one.
> >
> Read myself into it a little. I made changes to ubxtool to have
> shortcuts available that directly do what I need (enable RTCM3
> messages and TMODE3). Simply changing existing functions and reading
> the M8 manual to make the proper changes.

There certainly are more useful things to add, but you should be able
to do anything you want w/o changing any code.

> options="-P 20.30 -v 1 -f /dev/ttyACM0"
> sudo ubxtool -p RESET $options
> sudo ubxtool -e RTCM3 $options
> sudo ubxtool -d NMEA $options
> sudo ubxtool -p MODEL,2 $options
> sudo ubxtool -e SURVEYIN3 $options

If you were not using broken sudo, you would just use UBXOPTS.

Don't use sudo, it is broken by design.  ubxtool does not need
to be run in broken root.

u-blox can be timing sensitive, be careful of overrunning the devince.

Without seeing your -p STATUS -p CONFIG I do not know if you have what you
think you have.

> which works fine except the part it still returns fix.status = 2...

Without seeing the logs of the rover, no way to know.

> ubxtool.patch: contains the additions I made

Which means there are things you are not telling me, that could
also contain errors.  I can't guess.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588