gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] debugging apparent lack of multiconstellation support

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] debugging apparent lack of multiconstellation support
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 10:22:43 -0700

Yo Ben!

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 09:24:41 -0700
Ben Crowell <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've ordered a NEO-8m board. Should have checked the specs more
> carefully for multiconstellation support before buying a 6m.

Part of the learning process.

> BTW, it seems that most of the ublox boards being sold through
> retail channels are fakes, and may not have the upgradable firmware:

Whoa there!  Conflating two very different issues.

Read the u-blox doc.  Some parts come with firmware in rom, others with
the firmware in flash, or eerom.  Extra cost options.  That is not a way
to tell fake from real.

So most "fakes" are just the cheaper u-blox with a new sticker as a
more expensive one.  Or flat out bait and switch where the sell you
an mtk GPS.

>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qPivbIXfQE

That guy is clueless.  Blacklist that video.

> I would have been willing to pay extra for a genuine part, but it
> seems next to impossible to find a supplier that knows and cares.

Many reputable sellers. https://www.csgshop.com/ is one.  Or buy from a
nam brand like Sparkfun or Uputronics.  Sorry if anyone feels left off
that list, many good one to choose from.

> > Cool.  How do I run it?  I get this: [...]
> > Looks like you hardcoded some paths?
>
> I've updated the README, so hopefully that will help. The software is
> only written so as to run on this particular hardware setup, though,
> including the eInk display.

Updating doc is never ending...

RGDS
GARY