gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Where should I start from?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Where should I start from?
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 17:53:45 -0700

Yo raaj!

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 08:20:21 +0800
raaj lokanathan <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like to create a gpsd driver.

Not for the faint of heart.  Best to look at an existing driver.
Maybe driver_ubx.c or driver_nmea0183.c.

What GPS model do you want to do a driver for?  Maybe I can point to the
most similar driver.

> Exactly when I looked into the
> documentation it’s pretty outdated.

Not really.  The basics have not changed in a decade, but thje dev doc
is behind recent feature additions.  You can ignore those until you have
the basics working.

> Actually I would like to
> understand one thing. If you don’t mind can you explain me which part
> of the code runs first. Is it the libgpsd_core.c or the gpsd.c?

gpsd.c.  But you want to start in packet.c.  gpsd.c runs a tight
loop waiting for input from GPS and clients.  When it gets characters
from the GPS they get send to packet.c.  Once packet.c has a complete
sentence, it passes it to the correct driver for decode.

> Is
> the core library works as a mediators between the sensor and the
> driver?

Nope.  packet.c

RGDS
GARY