gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Doc fix to serial.c

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Doc fix to serial.c
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:06:00 -0700

Yo Kai!

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 21:18:43 +0200
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <address@hidden> wrote:

> You're welcome. Actually, I wasn't looking at the ublox code, but
> more at what it would take to port gpsd to the esp32 platform.

Intereting idea.

> Esp32 runs on FreeRTOS which seems to be partly-POSIXy, but lacking
> major things like ioctl()s, devices and a lot more.  As it stands I
> don't think that doing a port that could be added to the dist in a
> reasonable way is possible or worth-while.

All gpsd really needs is the serial data stream from the GPS.

If you do not keep PPS, or port speed changes, then ioctl() is
not needed.

> Also, cross-compiling under their Windows environment (yeah, my bad.

Well, that is a self inflicted wound...

> I should've used Linux) is less than straight forward as the esp32
> environment doesn't have scons (they use Make/CMake, but it does have
> python).

If you have python, then installed scons is trivial.  There is some
work on a makefile for Android use.  If that works, you are almost
there.

> I did manage to install scons (from tarball), but I don't
> think I got it installed correctly. Blame that one on me; the only
> project I know that uses scons is gpsd so I'm highly incompetent in
> scons (and python).

You should not need to do too much to get scons to cross compile, at
least on a UNix host...

> Right now I'm thinking that my best approach is to cherry-pick the
> drivers I need (NMEA0183,  Skytraq)  and add "esp32_serial.c",
> hacking up a local drivers.c and a few odd things like a pps driver
> and mix this into the example NMEA driver from the esp32-idf. My
> purpose is to make a laptimer/datalogger just for the fun and
> learning experience, so a very embedded system.

Good luck with that.  If you get something solid then it can be
added to gpsd git to help others.  Maybe look on the gpsd-dev
list for the Android patches.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588