gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Doc fix to serial.c

From: Kai Harrekilde-Petersen
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Doc fix to serial.c
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 21:18:43 +0200

Hi Gary,

On 16-04-2019 20:16, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Kai!

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 19:48:43 +0200
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <address@hidden> wrote:

I was messing around in serial.c and noticed that the link to Linus'
git repo (for devices.txt) was stale.
The below 1-liner updates the link to a valid one.
Patch applied to git head.  Thanks!

If you are interested in the serial behavior of a u-blox then you
will be interested in two new commands added yeasterday to ubxtool.

You're welcome. Actually, I wasn't looking at the ublox code, but more at what it would take to port gpsd to the esp32 platform.

Esp32 runs on FreeRTOS which seems to be partly-POSIXy, but lacking major things like ioctl()s, devices and a lot more.  As it stands I don't think that doing a port that could be added to the dist in a reasonable way is possible or worth-while. Also, cross-compiling under their Windows environment (yeah, my bad. I should've used Linux) is less than straight forward as the esp32 environment doesn't have scons (they use Make/CMake, but it does have python). I did manage to install scons (from tarball), but I don't think I got it installed correctly. Blame that one on me; the only project I know that uses scons is gpsd so I'm highly incompetent in scons (and python).

Right now I'm thinking that my best approach is to cherry-pick the drivers I need (NMEA0183,  Skytraq)  and add "esp32_serial.c", hacking up a local drivers.c and a few odd things like a pps driver and mix this into the example NMEA driver from the esp32-idf. My purpose is to make a laptimer/datalogger just for the fun and learning experience, so a very embedded system.

Best regards,

Kai