gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Unable to run gpsd as service without -N flag

From: Matthew Parrilla
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Unable to run gpsd as service without -N flag
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 08:33:10 -0400

Thank you for the explanation. I should have guessed I wasn't understanding systemd properly! I'll stick with -N and will add -n.

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 8:05 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Matthew!

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 17:14:10 -0400
Matthew Parrilla <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi there, I'm trying to run gpsd as a systemd service on Ubuntu 18.04
> but am unable to do so without the -N flag.

That is how systemd "works".  By not putting gpsd in the background it
knows when gpsd exits for any reason.

> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gpsd -N -r udp://192.168.1.206:60001

You really want the -n flag too.

> address@hidden:~$ sudo systemctl stop gpsd.service
> Warning: Stopping gpsd.service, but it can still be activated by:
>   gpsd.socket

Which means your service file is broken.  YOu removed part, but not
all, of the gpsd.socket stuff.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588