gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd client libraries for Android

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd client libraries for Android
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 19:03:45 -0700

Yo Larry!

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 21:43:31 -0400
Larry Boyd <address@hidden> wrote:

> The additional generated files don't impact me yet, since I'm not
> building a full gpsd. I may do that at some point, but it will be
> quite far off in the future.

OK.

> I suspect that part of the disconnect is that I'm not trying to build
> gpsd with the ndk as part of an application as others have done.

I have no idea what "ndk" is.  Out of my area of expertise.  So, once
again, what OS, c compiler, etc. are you using to build?

> I'm
> building the entire operating system for a device, specifically,
> hikey960, although most of what I'm working on would be portable to
> any device. The entire tool stack for the process is brought in along
> with the full set of sources by the repo command.

Huawei, not gonna make friends using them...

Hikey 960 looks like a board, not a dev system:

https://www.96boards.org/product/hikey960/

> https://source.android.com/setup/build/devices

Ah, AOSP, AOSP then that builds fine on Linux, which means you can use
scons too.

> What my question really comes down to would be the recommended
> approach to dealing with these generated files in a way where I could
> contribute it back to gpsd for others to use easily.

Hard to say what will work until it works.  If you build AOSP on
Linux then you prolly just need to make a few patches to SConstruct and
a doc describing how you cross compile.

> And by easily, I mean just pull the repository into
> android/external/, and add libgps to the packages list.

scons knows about cross compilings, so I don't see much beyond
some SCons tweaks.  Since you did not mention needing to change any
system calls.  Maybe change your .mk file to just run scons with the
required cross compile parameters.

All this might not be as simple to actually do as I make it sound.
Alternative is to make a directory just to hold your build system, then
add a shell script to make the derived files.

Typically someone does something ugly that mostly works and if someone
else cares they clean it up.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588