gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd client libraries for Android

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd client libraries for Android
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 18:23:52 -0700

Yo Larry!

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 14:26:20 -0400
Larry Boyd <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm in the early stages of building an Android GPS HAL that leverages
> gpsd.

Cool.  Please keep us updated on your progress.

Are you compiling natively or cross compiling?  On what OS with what
tools?

I see others have used scons to build for android:

https://wiki.iotivity.org/android_build_instructions

There are also ports of scons to android:

https://www.openhub.net/p/scons-android

> I've been able to build the client library libgps.so using the
> attached Android.mk, but only after some shenanigans involving some
> generated files; gpsd_config.h, gps_maskdump.c, and ais_json.i

Those should not be too difficult.  gpsd_config.h just says what features
to compile in, so you can make one by hand, as you seem to have done.

maskaudit.py can make gps_maskdump.c for you.  Or just use a current
one.

ais_json.1 is for ais, so just don't compile that part.

There are more generated files:

    'packet_names.h',
    'timebase.h',
    'revision.h',
    'gpsd.php',

You can do an amd64 or arm native build and then grab those files.

> With the Android build system, it really isnt an option to run scons
> to build those files.

I'm not familiar with that, we know other people have put gpsd on android,
but lack details.  I can't imagine why you could not cross compile and
use scons.  As others have done (see above).

> Does anybody have any suggestions on how to handle this?

Sounds like you are mostly there.  What is left for you?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588