gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] using the python gps module without scons install

From: shouldbe q931
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] using the python gps module without scons install
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 22:27:56 +0000

Hi Gary
On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 7:34 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yo shouldbe!
>
> > Apologies, I replied just to you instead of the mailing list.
>
> It happens.

> > > I believe python=yes is the default, if a working python is found.
> > > Can't hurt to force it on.
> > >
> > Agreed if scons is called with no parameters, but with the parameters
> > from the clockmaker script set, the python module is not built unless
> > added to the line.
>
> Eric maintains the clockmaker script.  He wanted to keep it to make
> a minimal gpsd.  If that is not your goal too, then don't use it.

It has served well as something for me to discover an itch of mine
that I am now scratching, and using to learn from.

> > > It should work with no changes, and with no 'scons install'.  No
> > > way to tell without a full transcript of you procedute.
> > >

> > While "debugging" this, rather than working on a pi, I'm working in an
> > Ubuntu VM so I can revert to a snapshot instead of having to re-image
>
> Sounds like a lot of work for little benefit.  clockmaker, by design,
> only installs in the user's home directory.  That makes reversion trivial.
>

> If you go beyond the clockmaker script, and install, it is in /usr/local/,
> so also easy to revert.

I have to disagree, when "scons install" is run as root it puts files
in several paths that are not in the user's home directory
/usr/local/, /usr/local/lib/
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps, and /usr/local/include
I have seen this bahaviour under rasbian on a pi and in the Ubuntu VM

the end of stdout shows

Install file: "gpsmon" as "/usr/local/bin/gpsmon"
strip /usr/local/bin/gpsmon
rm -f //usr/local/lib/libgps.*
Install file: "libgps.so.25.0.0" as "/usr/local/lib/libgps.so.25.0.0"
strip /usr/local/lib/libgps.so.25.0.0
Install file: "gps/clienthelpers.so" as
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/clienthelpers.so"
strip /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/clienthelpers.so
Install file: "gps/packet.so" as
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/packet.so"
strip /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/packet.so
Install file: "gps/__init__.py" as
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/__init__.py"
Install file: "gps/client.py" as
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/client.py"
Install file: "gps/fake.py" as
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/fake.py"
Install file: "gps/gps.py" as
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/gps.py"
Install file: "gps/misc.py" as
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/misc.py"
Install file: "gps/watch_options.py" as
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/watch_options.py"
Install file: "gegps" as "/usr/local/bin/gegps"
Install file: "gpscat" as "/usr/local/bin/gpscat"
Install file: "gpsfake" as "/usr/local/bin/gpsfake"
Install file: "gpsprof" as "/usr/local/bin/gpsprof"
Install file: "gps-3.19-dev.egg-info" as
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps-3.19-dev.egg-info"
Install file: "libgps.pc" as "/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/libgps.pc"
Install file: "libgpsmm.h" as "/usr/local/include/libgpsmm.h"
Install file: "gps.h" as "/usr/local/include/gps.h"
scons: done building targets.

> I compile on my RasPi's, works well.  Easier than using VM's.

I was using a VM so that I could quite happily break anything and then
revert to a known state without having to reimage an SD card again,
reverting to a snapshot takes seconds

> > It's a clean build of 18.04, which has python 2.7.15 as opposed to the
> > puython 2.7.13 of rasbian stretch, but is a fairly close match
> > otherwise.
>
> Ugh...
>
> > The very cut down bash script I am using https://pastebin.com/RVXgQ2fn
>
> Looks OK.  I try to discourgage people not building all the drivers for
> gpsd and ntpd.  Partial builds are not well tested and can be problematic.
>
> > The contents of ntpsec/build/config.log https://pastebin.com/d7mT7Sya
>
> I see an ntpsec configure, but no gpsd configure?

Sorry, you've lost me, I was under the obviously mistaken
understanding that scons without install was a combined configure and
build, with the configure "options" being passed on the command line.

> No point looking at your ntpsec until your gpsd is good.
>
> What does your gpsd configure show?
>
> And what about my other questions?

Cheers

Arne