gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd 3.16 to gpsd 3.17 changes

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd 3.16 to gpsd 3.17 changes
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 11:26:35 -0800

Yo Krishna!

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 12:49:01 +0530
"Krishna" <address@hidden> wrote:

> We are using u-blox UBX-M8030 GPS module in the ARM based target
> platform.

Cool, I have similar.

> We were using gpsd 3.16 with libgps c library and gps functionality
> was working fine. gpsd 3.16 was able to recognize the UBX module and
> using libgps c library, we were able to get the location details.

Ancient, but OK.

> Please refer to attached log (gpsd_3.16.log)

"working fine" is all I need to know.

> Now we have switched to gpsd 3.17 and gps functionality is not
> working as expected.

Depends a lot on what you expect.  And 3.17 is a bit old...

Try 3.18.1.

> We are getting following error when gpsd started
>
> gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "iSync" driver..

Not an error.  Does not say it is an error.  If it were an error it would
say "ERROR".  Instead, since you specified "-D 5", that is a
program logic trace, which is why it says "PROG".

That just means you do no have an iSync driver.  That is to be expected
as you have a u-blox M8030.

Also, your 3.17 log shows NO data from the GPS.  Did you set the speed
correctly before starting gpsd?  That speeds up the autobaud.

> Also, after sometime gpsd is reducing the speed to 4800bps.

Autobaud.  Without knowing your GPS configuration that may, or may not
be correct.

> using libgps c library, we were not able fetch the location data from
> gps (even though raw data -NMEA data is coming on /dev/ttyLP2).

A lot of stuff between /dev/ttyLP2 and the client library.

Like:

what is ttyLP2?  Never heard of that one.

what is the speed of your GPS on ttyLP2?

How long did you wait?  Your log is much to short to be for a full
autobaud sequence.

> It looks like we are missing some configuration with respect to gpsd
> 3.17.

Uh, no.  gpsd autoconfigures.

> Whether we need to do any specific configuration when we are
> migrating to 3.17?

Nope.

> Please provide your suggestion to resolve the issue.

Update to 3.18.1

Why are you running "-F /var/run/gpsd.sock" and "/dev/ttyLP2"?  Do
you need hotplug?

Why do you not have "-n" on the gpsd command line?

Preset the port speed to speed up the autobaud.

What does ubxtool say?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588