gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] About date and time validity

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] About date and time validity
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 11:04:21 -0800

Yo Massimiliano!

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 09:50:10 +0000
"Massimiliano Fago" <address@hidden> wrote:

> >You started with "-D 5" for debug info.  What does it say?
> >
> >It should look like this:
> >
> ># gpsd -D 5 -N -n /dev/ttyAMA0 /dev/pps0 |& fgrep PPS
> I have the following result:
>
> gpsd:PROG: PPS:/dev/ttyAMA0 chrony
> socket /var/run/chrony.ttyAMA0.sock doesn't exist
> gpsd:WARN: KPPS:/dev/ttyAMA0 no HAVE_SYS_TIMEPPS_H, PPS accuracy will
> suffer

Oh, oh.  That means your gpsd was not built with KPPS support.  As
it says:  "accuracy will suffer".  Worse, KPPS is the only way to use
/dev/pps0.

This is usually because someone forgot to install the pps-tools
package/ebuild/tarball before building gpsd.

Game over.

> >It snowed here last night.  Melted today, but maybe I'll have a white
> >Christmas.  I hope yours is also merry.
> I live in south Italy near the sea. Here it rarely snows, for example
> today we have 17° Celsius in the morning. Minimum temperature in this
> days was 7-8° Celsius.
> Sometimes it would be nice to have a Christmas with snow...

A lof of my neighbors feel the opposite.  We call them "snow birds",
they leave here, for warmer climes, when the snow comes.

Inside my house is a nice 22 C.  All the warmth I need for Xmas.

Enjoy!

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588