gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] ntpshm_link_activate failing for pty source devices

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] ntpshm_link_activate failing for pty source devices
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 16:35:00 -0700

Yo David!

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 22:58:08 +0000
David Thornley <address@hidden> wrote:

> +//    if (session->sourcetype == source_pty)
> +// return;
> As you can see I just commented out the condition mentioned in my
> original post. (

Yeah.  We're gonna need to something better.  I'll create an issue for
this now.  With the eclipse craziness it may take a bit to get fixed
in git head.

> I’m surprised others have not reported this before, the kplex (mux)
> approach we use must be atypical…

First I have heard of something like this. More typical is to run gpsd on
the same host as the GPS and connect to it with gpsd protocol.  Then
use ntpd to supply the time to the local network.  You'll get much better
time that way.  Or have gpsd direclty connect to the remote GPS on udp.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588