gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPS Time Synchronization

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPS Time Synchronization
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 11:57:36 -0700

Yo John!

On Fri, 19 May 2017 10:10:15 -0400
"Burton, John" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Since I am getting data from an
> external INS/GPS unit, which provides a GPS timestamp (double
> precison seconds from the beginning of the week, and week since the
> epoch), and this external unit uses the same GPS receiver as my
> computer, I need to somehow provide the same timestamp for all the
> other data I am capturing. My question is, how can I do that?

Pretty easy to convert UTC to GPS weeks.  except for that messy
leap second thing.

GPS time is in weeks plus seconds in the week.  Here is a good overview:

https://confluence.qps.nl/display/KBE/UTC+to+GPS+Time+Correction

"GPS week zero started at 00:00:00 UTC (00:00:19 TAI) on January 6,
1980, and the week number became zero again for the first time at
23:59:47 UTC on August 21, 1999 (00:00:19 TAI on August 22, 1999). "

At the bottom of this page is the math worked out:

https://www.novatel.com/support/knowledge-and-learning/published-papers-and-documents/unit-conversions/

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588