gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] strange - currently only few satellites

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] strange - currently only few satellites
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:49:39 -0700

Yo David!

I think all we need is a clear statement in your code assigning your
copyright.

Here is what ESR has used:

* This code by ESR, Copyright (C) 2013, under BSD terms.

Here is what Chris Kuethe used:

# Copyright (c) 2008 Chris Kuethe <address@hidden>
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
# purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
# copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
# WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
# MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR
# ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
# WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
# ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

Then I can grab gpsGetSatellites.c and put it in the gpsd contrib
directory.  It really demonstrates how easy it is to get data out of
gpsd into something else.  I find these little snippets really handy
wheen trying to get a handle on solving a problem.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 19:35:49 +0100
"David J Taylor" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yo David!
>
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 17:21:38 +0100
> "David J Taylor" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Just a brief note to say that I ended up writing a C program to get
> > the numbers I wanted.  Details are here:
>
> Care to conrtibute that to gpsd?
>
> RGDS
> GARY
>
> Gary,
>
> Yes, I'm quite happy for gpsd to use the information I've set out at:
>
>   http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/monitoring.html#gps
>
> but I don't know how to go about "contributing" it.  The C program
> alone is very simple, as is the "pass" mechanism for SNMP and the
> configuration file for MRTG.  Perhaps someone could contribute it for
> me?
>
> Cheers,
> David

RGDS