gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Enable PPS Echo

From: Reto Zbinden ST
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Enable PPS Echo
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 23:07:13 +0000

Hello Gary

As far as I can see in the log, GPSD is using KPPS, so we're fine with that:

gpsd:INFO: KPPS checking /sys/devices/virtual/pps/pps0/path, /dev/ttyS0
gpsd:INFO: KPPS RFC2783 fd is 6
gpsd:INFO: KPPS caps 1133
gpsd:WARN: KPPS kernel PPS will be used

>From my understanding this PPS echo stuff doesn't really require any special
>GPS hardware. The feature should be provided by the PPS API and simply clears
>the RTS line of the serial port as soon as the PPS event is timestamped. For
>the serial port PPS echo should be available:

# cat /sys/devices/virtual/pps/pps0/path
/dev/ttyS0
# cat /sys/devices/virtual/pps/pps0/echo
1

I've found some further explanations here:
http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-config-tricks.htm#AEN4296

But with my rather basic (linux) knowledge, it isn't clear to me if and how
echo can be enabled for the PPS device.

Regards
Reto