gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Support request for NavSpark GPS modules!

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Support request for NavSpark GPS modules!
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 18:12:06 -0700

Yo Sriram!

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 12:40:04 -0500
Sriram Chadalavada <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have persuaded the vendor of the following GPS-RTK units to work
> with me and the open source community to develop gpsd support for:

Interesting, up to 50Hz update rate, up to 1cm and 10nSec accuracy.

> Please let me know what documentation other than in the links above
> you would need and WHERE to send their EVALUATION UNITS.

I'll take one and I'll work with you to get it gpsd supported.  My snail
mail address is in my signature below.

I did the 50bpps data support for gpsd.  We know some people have played
with RTK on gpsd, but the tended to be secretive about it.

Looks like you need 2 units to get the cm accuracy?  One as a base
station and one as a rover?  It says the base station sending RTCM 3.x
data can be 10Km away, so I'm guessing maybe an internet base feed is OK?

Would the project be to support both base and rover modes?

I see in their example they mention hooking up to a USB to serial converter.
For better timing that should likely be USB 2.0 Hi-speed.  But even that
would be a crime to the PPS.  They mention using a PL2303, but do not bother
to say if they are using the slow, medium, or fasat version.

I see some data on their flavor of NMEA, but nothing on how they support
RTK data, that would be essential doc to get.

> PS: gpsd appears to be an outstanding piece of open source code and
> architecture :)!

We're all just scratching an itch here.  My interest would be in how good
they are at timing.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588