gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] arduino & time

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] arduino & time
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 11:18:37 -0700

Yo folkert!

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 15:51:34 +0200
folkert <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a couple of NTP servers which GPS modules (different types and
> brands) connected to them and I would like to somehow show the eh most
> common time or so.

Probably best asked on an NTP list.

But, since you asked here.  Remember that a major part of NTP is to use
a large number of sources and use a variety of measures to arrive at a
best guess time.  Have your local NTP servers peer with each other and
let them do their thing.  They will arrive at a pretty good consensus.

Now all you client needs to do is ping any one of the NTP server, or even
just have the NTP servers broadcast the time on the local net with UDP.

That keeps the client very simple and give you pretty good time.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588