gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Earthmate GPS

From: IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR
Subject: [gpsd-users] Earthmate GPS
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 22:19:53 -0400

List members,

Alrighty, I have to admit that it seems that the first part of my failures were do to bad batteries (though I got brand new ones to start with). Ah well, at any rate I got a power converter for the cigarette lighter adapter and the GPS is now fully powered!

I did have some problems getting version 3.6 to put the GPS into Zodiac or Earthmate mode, so I decided to compile and test 3.9, which worked far better.

xgps is now able to show a skyview and Xastir connected to gpsd via telnet and sent my coordinates to aprs.fi today. However, what interests me now is to get PPS ntp running. I have a USB to serial adapter that I am using and ran "statserial /dev/ttyUSB0" against it and it seemed like the DCD pin did not change at all.

What experiences have people had with these USB to Serial adapter cables with regard to getting DCD and CTS and that to go across them?

What kinds of things can I json the GPS to get it to demonstrate if it is sending PPS signals to Linux?

One thing I did notice is that the GPS is sent a string to see if it is an Earthmate Delorme (pre-2003) and instead (despite the fact that the GPS is a pre-2003 unit) is put into "Zodiac binary" mode. Is this of any significance? I mean I suppose I could compile gpsd with only the Delorme support but, ought I be worried about that?

Stuart

V/R,

--

IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR, N3GWG (Extra), MROP
NR N-NC JTF EAST DET UIC 84245

Las Vegas, NV / Boulder, CO / Philadelphia, PA / Beverly Hills, CA

(310) 358-0202 Mobile Phone
(215) 338-6005 Google Voice

e-mail: address@hidden