gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Speeding up autobauding

From: Alexander Carver
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Speeding up autobauding
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:06:22 -0700

On 10/19/2012 12:51, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Alexander Carver <address@hidden>:
I can narrow that range down a bit for you.  I'm still running 3.4 with
my receiver set for 38400.  Autobaud takes about five to six seconds
before it captures the port data.

Can you test to see if the sync time drops at a lower speed?

Yes, it does. The autobaud almost always starts off at 4800 and takes a few seconds to ramp up to 38400.

I should make one clarification that I forgot:  I removed many of
the drivers that I don't use when I compiled.  In my case I only
have Unknown, Generic NMEA, SiRF binary, and JSON slave compiled in.

That shouldn't make a difference, but please test to see if it does.

I know it did make a bit of a difference. The autobaud was much slower with every driver compiled in since it tested against each one. Dropping the unused ones sped up the process. I didn't know about the fixed speed option or I would have used it because I keep the one receiver in 38400 SiRF binary exclusively.