gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Make gpsd work with BU-353 S4 receiver

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Make gpsd work with BU-353 S4 receiver
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:16:50 -0700

Yo Benjamin!

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:09:30 +0200
Benjamin Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, basically it's just about sensitivity and not accuracy? If so,
> then it should not be that much of a problem ;)

Well, they are sorta the same.  Less sensitivity, means fewer sats in
range, means a poorer DOP, means less accuracy.  Unless you have a perfect
skyview.

> As I understand, you are part of the dev team, aren't you? If you
> are, then could you tell me if it is possible to make gpsd put the
> receiver in NMEA mode instead of SiRF binary in some future release?

Possible, yes.  Likely to cause a riot, yes.

Vendors and users like to think their particular binary mode is superior
to generic NMEA.  Even when it is not.

gpsctl lets you choose for yourself.

RGDS
GARY