gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Downloading GlobalTop MT3339 Locus packets

From: Jeremy Mortis
Subject: [gpsd-users] Downloading GlobalTop MT3339 Locus packets
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:37:09 -0600

I've recently been playing around with the GlobalTop mt3339 GPS
module, now all the rage in the Arduino "maker" world.  It has the
ability to record GPS fixes in its internal flash memory for later
download, a capability called "Locus". The download of saved data is
requested and received via a proprietary extension to the NMEA
protocol.

Although gpsd works fine for processing the standard packets emitted
by the mt3339 like GPGGA, GPRMC, etc., I don't think it supports the
Locus packets (PMTKnnn, PMTKLOX).  In fact gpsmon segfaults when it
encounters them.

A common thing one would want to do with Locus packets is download
them and turn them into a GPX file.  There are various tools and code
snippets out there to do this, but I wonder whether that is something
that would fit into the gpsd project.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.