gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd/udev behavior

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd/udev behavior
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:10:46 -0400

Paul Fox <address@hidden>:
> so perhaps debian and fedora should be encouranged to pick a value.
> and since i bet that value would be "dialout" in both cases, i now
> wonder whether gpsd should simply set that as the default gpsd_group
> value.  it would have solved my problem.

Or you could have built with gpsd_group=dialout, which would set that
as the privilege group.

Whether gpsd_group=dialout should be the default or we should continue to
look at the ownership of a prototype device comes down to a question of which
handles the larger percentage of out-of-the-box configurations.

I'm disinclined to change unless there's clear evidence that defaulting
to 'dialout' would be better.