gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Mistimed Reads Give Me 0.5 Hz Updates

From: Constantin Savtchenko
Subject: [gpsd-users] Mistimed Reads Give Me 0.5 Hz Updates
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:46:11 -0400

Hello all,
I have been playing around with the gpsmm class to access my gps and I am having trouble with my reads. My gps updates at 1 Hz, yet my reads occurs at 0.5s followed by a 1.5s interval. This creates the condition that my lat lon coordinates are updated ever 2 seconds (opposed to every second.) I present an example situation, we see the "online" unix time, followed by the "skyview" timestamp.

(s)                      (s)
0               -         0
0.5            -        0
2               -         2
2.5            -         2
4               -         4

And so on. The time boundaries of the reads are causing problems. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I removed all forms of blocking, and simply call

(newdata = gps_rec.read()) != NULL)
    printThings

as fast as possible. Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated, as all of the documentation on the site for the c++ class does not match the c++ class I am using. I am using the newest release, compiled from sources. Thank you in advance.

Constantin