gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move

From: Ed W
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 15:37:36 +0000

On 03/03/2012 17:57, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Ed W<address@hidden>:
The only negatives I see are that it's a commercial backed project
and I sense that is less preferable to you than a non profit or
charity based, open source project?
For-profit isn't a deal-killer for me.  Closed-source very nearly is.

I don't have a problem with ethical reasons. Just one last pointer though - the key pieces of github are effectively opensource...

I noticed that Bitbucket now offers git, but unknown on static website hosting - not built on completely opensource Gitorious doesn't offer static hosting and I have no experience of it's bug tracker - completely opensource

Neither of the above offer mailing list services

Combining that with the fact that we'd lose integration between the
mailing lists and bugtracker *is* a deal-killer.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean? I don't see that it lacks integration at all?

Can you describe
a) exactly what "integration" you have at present
b) what you believe you will loose

I think I can then either agree or dispel whatever problems you perceive?

I'll write the horrrible hack required to get our pages onto Savannah.
Beyond that, I don't think I'm going to see a solution to the forge
problem until I write one.

I really don't see *how* you can integrate all these pieces? One is built on public/private keys infrastructure, the other on username/passwords. You need to solve that basic challenge before you can integrate them

Additionally, as of today it's trivial to use the same login tokens in multiple websites/systems, therefore I don't really see that a problem exists? In fact I have personally moved away from having the same login tokens for different systems - instead I use unique challenging passwords for all services and then a password manager to manage all of these. Obviously care needs to be taken to secure the password manager, but at present the larger risk seems to be compromised websites leaking the passwords which can then be reused in other systems if they all match!

So, personally I see what you are striving for as being a step backwards... I don't have a problem with you striving for that since you obviously disagree, but just highlighting that there may be other ways to look at the problem.

Lets see if we can't either get you happy with github or blow it out as an option for well researched reasons.

Good luck

Ed W