gpsd-dev

Re: ✘n2k and issue #176

From: Christian Gagneraud
Subject: Re: ✘n2k and issue #176
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:42:49 +1300

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 at 16:34, Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:

> Yo Christian!
>
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:31:05 +1300
> Christian Gagneraud <chgans@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > And I've never heard of any either.  But now issue #176 wants to
> > > extend the gpsd nmea2000 code for the ISO case.  I'm unclear on the
> > > real world use case.
> >
> > Are you talking about PGN 60928 et al?
>
> I have no idea what I am talking about.  Thus my call for help.
>
> Maybe Reinhard can clarify.
>
> > I worked at navico.com and most (all?) of our MFDs do address claims.
>
> If any units don't, then gpsd has to understand that case.

Surely all the important devices do that. AFAIK, this is the base for
"source selection".
eg. check out "source selection" in
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1039394/Simrad-Nss-Evo2-Series.html?page=25

Eg. If there are several devices that provide GPS on n2k, the user
need to be able to select which one to trust.

I'm not an expert, but if you want some clarification i can ask some
expert guys at work.

Chris