gpsd-dev

uBlox satellite corrections was Re: ✘NTRIP and RTCM

From: James Browning
Subject: uBlox satellite corrections was Re: ✘NTRIP and RTCM
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 08:00:00 -0800

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021, 8:45 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo All!

Anyone wathcing git head, or issue 175, will notice that I have been
workong on NTRIP.  Still a lot of rough edges, but progrees.

See attached one one plots, all from the same ZED-F9P and antenna.

Plain3600.png      -- no corrections
23Single3600.png   -- RTCM 2.3 corrections (1 mile away)
3Single3600.png    -- RTCM 3 corrections (1 mile away)
MAX3600.png        -- "MAX" synthetic RTCM 3 correction.

All from the Oregon ORGN network.  Many thanks to them for allowing
me cess.

The CEP(50)s:

0.764m   Plain3600.png
1.149m   23Single3600.png
0.719m   3Single3600.png
0,044m   MAX3600.png

Things to note.

a) RTCM 2.3 made the CEP(50) worse!
b) RTCM 3 was barely better than no corrections
c) The synthetic corrections are just WOW.

u-blox just announced a commercial sat based correcton service that will
beam corrections to any paying customer.  TBD if their corrections are
useful, or if normal people can afford them.

The goal would be to make money probably, which would mean volume, affordability, at least reasonable enhancement. Best bet to get on board if not gratis would be an intermediary.

If they could not improve on the "max" corrections they'd probably at least try to duplicate them.

In a previous copy of this, I ranted I would have something worse than pgp or any of the coaster css schemes secure it. Also, I trash talked my own email before fat fingering it into garbage.