gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpsd release coming

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘gpsd release coming
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 23:12:02 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 20:03:13 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 2020, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 14:14:27 -0700 (PDT)
> > Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:
> >
> >> You must not have looked very closely at the xgps output if you
> >> think it's OK.  You should see several pulsating values in the
> >> data box due to its seeing mixed NMEA/binary in "binary" mode.
> >
> > Nothing new there.  gpsd has always done that.  Even with pur NMEA
> > or pure binary.  Not gonna get fixed this cycle.
>
> This *particular* case of blinking data, which is in the actual
> coordinates, did not misbehave in 3.20.  Part of the problem is that
> receipt of NMEA data with those items missing sets them to "n/a"
> instead of leaving them alone.  But it didn't matter when binary mode
> meant binary mode.

Patches welcome, next cycle.

> > If you don't like it, set your receiver to a better sentence mix.
>
> Are you going to write up a doc with instructions on how to
> reconfigure receivers to work no worse than they did in 3.20?

Everything in the man page and examples still work for me.

> > gpsmon is crazy, no matter what.
>
> I use it all the time.

Feel free to fix it as you see fit then.

> >> I already reported this a while back in the "NEO-M8N NMEA" thread.
> >>  I have a series of commits that fix it, but I need to do more
> >> testing. It is, notably, a regression since 3.20.
> >
> > A compromise to fix other problems in 3.20.
>
> Which you have yet to elaborate on.

I did at length already on this list.  After the release feel free
to send patches and/or logs.

> >> Unrelated to all that, with Python 2, the current code to find
> >> libgpsdpacket fails on almost all platforms (including Linux).
> >
> > Works for me on Gentoo and macOS.  Plus on all of the CI jobs.
>
> It turns out that the issue isn't Python 2 - it's SSH.  Your library
> finder doesn't work when the command is executed over SSH.

I always run everything over SSH, os if SSH is your problem then it
is miscocnfigured.

> E.g, on Fedora 25:
>
> [fw@MacFed gpsd]$ /usr/local/bin/gpscat -V
> gpscat: Version 3.20.1~dev
> [fw@MacFed gpsd]$ ssh localhost /usr/local/bin/gpscat -V
> fw@localhost's password:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/local/bin/gpscat", line 24, in <module>
>      import gps.packet as sniffer
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gps/packet.py", line
> 135, in <module>
>      _packet = importado()
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gps/packet.py", line
> 131, in importado
>      raise OSError("Can't find packet library")
> OSError: Can't find packet library
>
> Usually that sort of problem is due to some environment variable not
> being set up in the SSH case, but I don't see any obvious candidates.

Works for me:

$ gpscat -V
gpscat: Version 3.20.1~dev
gem@spidey ~ $  ssh localhost /usr/local/bin/gpscat -V
gpscat: Version 3.20.1~dev

Since it only happens to you, hard for anyone else to fix.  I suspect you
are correct that your environment is wrong somehow.

As always, full build logs are just the start.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588