gpsd-dev

Re: ✘Long options?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘Long options?
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 20:21:54 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:

> There is a request to add a ton of options to gpsrinex.  That would be
> easy with Python argparse(), but gpsrinex is in C and no similar function
> is availble in POSIX-land.
>
> Do people want long options for other things?  If so then adding an
> argparse() function be useful all over.  But not wrth the work if
> people are OK with plain old POSIX getopt().

My quick reaction is that if just using regular (short) options is sane,
then that's ok.  options are basically tokens you have to look up
anyway, and thus long ones don't really help that much.  and gpsrinex is
for people that are willing to read details anyway.

That said, the fewer options the better, but I know that's easier said
than done.