gpsd-dev

Re: systemd/udev/hotplug installation on Ubuntu 19.10

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: systemd/udev/hotplug installation on Ubuntu 19.10
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 11:12:42 -0700

Yo John!

On Fri, 1 May 2020 10:47:03 -0400
John Ackermann N8UR <address@hidden> wrote:

> Just built gpsd from head.  Trying to get the udev hotplug stuff
> working, ultimately for multiple receivers, but for now just one would
> be nice.

IN general not a good idea.

> Following the troubleshooting guide, I tried "make udev-install" and
> no target was found.  So I did "sudo scons udev-install" which did
> install the udev rules in /lib/udev/rules.d

sudo is bad for you.  You should already know that all installs and
system configuration needs root.

If you can word it better, please send a patch.

> But there was no hotplug action after doing so.  The FAQ mentions
> gpsd.hotplug living in /lib/udev, but it hadn't been installed.  I
> manually copied it from the source dir to /lib/udev and chmod'd it
> a+x.

The standard install (scons install) does that.  Go over the installation
procedure again.

> Plugged and unplugged.  Still no hotplug activity in /var/log/syslog.
>
> Per the troubleshooting guide, I cd'd to /lib/udev and ran "sudo
> ./gpsd-hotplug add /dev/ttyACM0"

Whoops, sudo confused you.  Do not use sudo.  EVER.

> Syslog reports:
> May  1 10:04:10 lintty gpsd.hotplug: no device
>
> although /dev/ttyACM0 exists.

> The hotplug script indicates that it gets its info about the control
> socket and options from any of /etc/default/gpsd, /etc/sysconfig/gpsd,
> /etc/conf.d/gpsd, but none of those exist.  There doesn't seem to be a
> gpsd config file anywhere in /etc.

Those files are Ubuntu specific.  gpsd does not install them or encourage
their use.  They are only mentioned as Ubuntu tries there best to
sow confusion.

You are confusing the instructions for a source install of gpsd and
an Ubuntu package install.  If you can improve the wording of the text
please send a patch.

> /lib/systemd/services contains the three gpsd files, but they also
> refer to a configuration file in those same non-existent locations in
> /etc.

Does not matter.  gpsd needs no config files.

> I've looked in the tree and don't find anything that is obviously
> intended to be the missing config file.

Yup.

> I don't know if it's just the config file that is missing, or if there
> are other bits that aren't getting installed, or if there is something
> else in the Ubuntu udev/hotplug system that has changed.  Any guidance
> on what to do?

If you want to do it the Ubuntu way, install the Ubuntu packages.  Otherwise
all you need is the udev rule.

> And once we get the basics working, what's needed to get multiple
> devices working (or will that come automatically once this underlying
> problem is resolved)?

Nothing else is required.  But hot plug is not encourage even for one
device.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588