gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] report on my build nits

From: James Browning
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] report on my build nits
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 14:34:41 -0700

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019, 2:26 PM Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden> wrote:

On 9/21/19 3:23 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>> I need to set PYTHON because I have no program named "python".
>> Despite differing with PEPfoo, my system views it as necessary for
>> soundness to bind each python-using program to a specific python
>> version at build/install time, rather than letting it pick up some
>> possibly-different python at run time.  Not going to get resolved,
>
> Yeah, little gpsd can do about broken distros that do not follow
> upstream preferences.

Thats not the only problem here.
we need to be able to build for all supported python versions in a
distribution, so we need to be able to choose the python interpreter.

Gentoo has a part of a way. Their meta build package includes a setup.py file template which is filled in with data from SConstruct and used to (re)build the Python 2.7 module. Well long story short it can also build packages for Python 3.x.